Page 7 of 12
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE
1. Both parties need to be together to apply.
2. There is a 3 day waiting period, to pick up the license, not including the day you apply on.
RE: if you come in on Monday, you cannot pick up license until Thursday, if you come in on Wed. you cannot pick up license until Monday.
3. License is good for 60 Days from date of applying.
4. $30 Fee
5. Parties do not have to be together when they come in to pick up the license. Preferably we like one of the parties to come in when marriage Certificate is issued, they need to proof the certificate to make sure all information is correct from the intention.
6. Need to complete 3 forms:
- Marriage Intention form
- Social Security Form
- Worksheet Form
Information needed on worksheet:
- Date of Marriage
- Where the marriage will take place
- Who is going to perform the ceremony, RE: JP, Priest, Minister
7. If the Officient that is going to perform the Ceremony is from out of State, he/she must apply for a Commission from the Secretary of State’s Commission Division in Boston. A ceremony cannot be performed without this commission. The Commission is returned with the marriage certificate and kept with the Marriage Certificate on file.
8. If parties cannot make the 3 day waiting period: (RE: they come in on a Friday to apply and they are getting married on Saturday,) they must go to Probate Court and apply for a court waiver to waive the 3 day waiting period. Need to come to Town Clerks Office first and fill out paper work and then go to court to request the waiver, then bring the waiver back to the Town Clerk’s Office and the Marriage Certificate can be issued. The court waiver stays on file with the intention in the Town Clerks Office.