Marriage Licenses

A couple getting married in the State of Massachusetts may apply for their marriage license in any Town or City Clerk's Office in the state by filling out a marriage intention. 

  • Marriage license are by appointment only, and we are currently only taking residents of Norwood . Appointments times are M-TH 8:15AM-3:00PM and F 8:15AM-12:00PM Please contact the Clerk's Office at 781-762-1240 to make an appointment.
  • Both parties must supply a photo identification proving they are 18 years or older.
  • Both parties must appear together to apply, couple needs to know when the marriage is taken place, who is preforming the ceremony and where the marriage will be held.
  • There is a 3-day waiting period for the license to be picked up - If parties cannot make the 3-day waiting period, they can go to Probate Court and apply for a court waiver. There is a $195 fee for the waiver. You must fill out the marriage intention prior to going to the court. The court waiver stays on file with the intention in the Town Clerk's Office.
  • The license is valid for 60 days from the date the couple came into the office to apply and may be used in any Massachusetts city or town.
  • If the officiant for your wedding is from another state or is not with the clergy or a Justice of the Peace, he or she must apply for and receive a one-day commission before the marriage takes place.  The Commission can be obtained from the Secretary of State’s Office  -  State of MA One Day Marriage Designation

There is nobody at the Town Hall who performs marriage ceremonies, however, there are Justices of the Peace within the town that you can contact. 

Justice of the Peace Listing


What is the cost of a marriage license?

What information do we need to complete the application?

Are there any special requirements if this is not my first marriage?