- Ability to obtain a valid Massachusetts firearms license
- At least 21 years old on day of appointment
- Possess an associate's degree or equivalent credits when enrolled in a bachelor's program or be an active member of the military or honorably discharged.
- Must pass entrance examination
- No person, who has been convicted of a felony or any offense punishable under M.G.L. Chapter 94C (drug law violations); or has been convicted of a misdemeanor and has been confined to any jail or house of correction as punishment for said crime, M.G.L. Chapter 22 C section 14, will be considered for employment.
- Must pass oral interviews
- Must pass a thorough background investigation prior to employment.
- Must pass physical fitness test
- Must pass medical examination
- Must pass psychological examination
- Must pass a drug screen/test
- Must be a United States citizen upon appointment to the Police Academy
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Must reside within 15 miles of Norwood, Massachusetts within one year of appointment.
- In accordance with M.G.L. Chapter 22 C section 10, no officer or student officer appointed or hired after January 1, 1988 shall smoke any tobacco product.
- Employees of the Norwood Police Department are prohibited from having tattoos visible on any part of their body that are extremist, sexist, racist, indecent or, in the judgement of the Chief of Police, otherwise offensive.
The following are excepted categories in which the applicant is not required to take the entrance examination:
- A full-time law enforcement officer from any U.S. law enforcement agency with a minimum of two years full time experience in his/her agency may apply to join the Department as a lateral transfer.
- A former Norwood police officer, who separated from the Department in good standing, may apply to rejoin the Department as a reinstatement
- Be of good moral character and fit for employment, as determined by the POST Commission.
- A lateral transfer must be certified and in good standings with the National Decertification Index (NDI)