Tobacco & Nicotine Regulations
New Required Signage
Summary of Changes to Norwood's Tobacco Sales Regulations:
- Prohibit the sale of all flavored tobacco/nicotine delivery products in all retail tobacco stores, including adult-only retail tobacco stores.
- Restrict smoke accessories, such as vaping products and pipes, to adult-only stores retail tobacco stores.
- Cap the number of adult-only stores at two stores.
Tobacco Sales Regulations
Notice to Tobacco Retailers
This video summarizes the changes:
The Board has taken the following information under consideration in revising Norwood Tobacco Sales regulations:
- Data from the Norwood MetroWest Adolescent Health Survey showed 45% of Norwood High school students have tried a vaping product and 31% currently use vaping products.
- Norwood High School use rate for e-cigarettes are higher than the State and higher than the metrowest region.
- Norwood Coakley Middle School e-cigarette use rates are higher than the metrowest region (middle school state data is not available).
- E-cigarette use in at the Coakley Middle School has increased 150%, from 5% in 2015 to 12.8% in 2018 and Norwood High School has increased 40%, from 22.6% in 2015 to 31.2% in 2018.
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported that the current use of electronic cigarettes, a product sold in dozens of flavors that appeal to youth, among middle and high school students tripled from 2013 to 2014.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the U.S. Surgeon General have stated that flavored tobacco products are considered to be “starter” products that help establish smoking habits that can lead to long-term addiction.
Workplace Smoking Regulations