The 2024 Open Burning Season Is Active
A new burn permit must be requested every burning season.
This permit allows outside burning of brush, cane, driftwood and forestry debris from non-commercial/industrial land clearing under the following conditions:
- To find out if it is acceptable for burning on any given day during the burning season, Please Call the NFD Business Line at 781-762-1313, and give your Burning Permit # and address where open burning will be occurring.
- If a Fire Weather Statement or RED FLAG Warning has been issued by the National Weather Service for Norfolk County, MA, > (www.weather.gov), ALL OUTDOOR BURNING IS CANCELLED for the day.
- Burning must take place at least 75 feet from any building. Burning may not be started prior to 10:00 am and in all cases the fire must be extinguished by 4:00 pm.
- Only brush can be burned, no leaves or paper goods. Brush diameter must be less than 4" diameter.
- While burning, a responsible adult must attend the fire at all times and a water supply such as a garden hose or pressurized water pump, along with fire control tools such as shovels and rakes should be at hand.
- To find out Air Quality is acceptable for Burning, Please Call the MassDEP Air Quality Hotline at (800) 882-1497, or visit https://eeaonline.eea.state.ma.us/dep/massair/web/#/pollution/map/max