History of Highland Cemetery
The Highland Cemetery is located on Winter Street in Norwood. In 1877, as the Old Parish Cemetery on Washington Street was nearing capacity, seventeen acres of undeveloped land was conveyed to the Town for the cemetery from town residents Matthew Clay, John Nugent, and William Cuff. The Cemetery Committee hired Reuben T. Woodward to design and develop the initial area.
To date there have been approximately 22,000 burials at the Highland Cemetery with annual burials averaging 221 over the past two decades.
The cemetery buildings include the administration building/garage, which was designed as part of the Federal government's ERA (Emergency Relief Administration) program in 1934. Local architect John Bamber designed the building.
Also on the property are the Smith/Winslow mausoleums, which were designed and built circa 1897, and the Chapel of St. Gabriel the Archangel, built in 1903.
More information regarding the Highland Cemetery is available for download.
Old Map of Highland Cemetery