Recreation Department Superintendent
Title: Superintendent of the Norwood Recreation Department
Department: Norwood Recreation Department, 165 Nahatan Street
Hours/Status: Full time, management, permanent, FLSA Exempt
Salary: Grade M14, FY23 range $3,365.26-5 - $3,570.09/ biweekly + excellent benefits
General Summary: The purpose of this position is to perform supervisory and managerial duties for the efficient operation of recreation department services and activities for the Town of Norwood. Incumbent develops, directs, and organizes diversified recreation, fitness, and health programs for adults and youth, including special activities, special interest classes, and special events; performs all other work as required. Works under the supervision of the General Manager and in accordance with established Department and Town policies and procedures. Incumbent works independently with minimal supervision. Performs a variety of supervisory, leadership, and management duties, which require the independent exercise of judgment and initiative to analyze, solve problems and make logical decisions in the overall business operation of the department. Supervises and manages full-time recreation staff, as well as various part-time and seasonal employees.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for the direction, supervision and development of broad, diversified activities, classes and recreation programs for adults and youths in accordance with general policies and regulations. Supervises and directs staff in the development and implementation of these programs; makes recommendations and provides effective leadership in all activities.
- Manages the recruitment, selection, promotion, supervision, and evaluation of department staff under the direction of the General Manager. Responsible for hiring, firing and disciplining staff personnel. Maintains efficient administrative operations for the department.
- Prepares and recommends immediate and long-range plans to meet community needs and goals for recreation space, programs, and personnel. Prepares and justifies budget plans and estimates while maintaining controls and accounting for all Recreation Department budget expenditures.
- Responsible for the maintenance and management of recreation buildings, grounds keeping and parking lot.
- Maintains systematic, complete and accurate records of departmental activities and services, financial records, personnel and property.
- Keeps abreast of the latest developments in the field as well as changes in rules and regulations pertaining to recreation issues.
- Performs similar or related work as required.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Recreation, Physical Education, Health/Business Administration or a closely related educational field; five (5) years in the planning and management of a recreational facility and staff, union and non-union personnel, and management of parks, playgrounds, and public facilities; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license.
- Ability to attend night meetings and weekend events as required.
- Knowledge of the theory and philosophy of recreation, and the ability to interpret this philosophy to others.
- Ability to understand the recreational problems of a community in order to formulate and administer specific and specialized recreation programs. Ability to direct and lead personnel staff to inspire the best efforts of others.
- Solid professional, administrative and supervisory skills in a recreational environment including strong communication skills.
Deadline for Applying : Oct 21, 2022