Town of Norwood

Home Departments Recycling
Recycling Department - Single Stream Curbside Recycling PDF Print E-mail
Article Index
Recycling Department
State Waste Bans
Toss It, Baby: Single Stream Recycling Official Music Video
Single Stream Curbside Recycling
Recycler of the Month-New!
Trash Recycle Schedule
Trash and Recycling Curbside Compliance
What happens to the single stream recyclables?
Winter Street Compost Site
Mercury Recovery Shed-New!
Button Cell Battery Recycling- NEW!
Battery Recycling
Prescription drugs disposal- New!
Yard Waste
Plastic Bag Recycling
Recycling Days & Household Hazardous Waste Day
Recycling Search Engines
Recycling Education Videos
Ink Jet Recycling- New!
All Pages

Norwood's Single Stream Recycling Program

What is Single Stream Recycling?
Single Stream Recycling (SSR) is simply a method of collecting "curbside" recyclables.  SSR allows for all curbside recyclables (the same materials we sorted out into bins) to be placed together in ONE cart.  The curbside automated single stream recycling program is designed to collect MORE of the same recyclable materials in one cart! This collection system is designed to makes it easier and less time consuming for residents, while increasing the opportunity to recover and recycle more materials in the 96g recycling cart.

Norwood will even provide residents a 2nd recycling cart at no charge. Simply call the General Manager's office at 1.781.762.1240 and speak with Dorothy about obtaining a 2nd recycling cart. 

Did you know? Simply diverting the curbside recyclables to the 96g recycling cart, you can reduce your trash by 50- 75% saving taxpayer dollars! We save on recycling tonnages (it costs less to recycle) and we save by reducing trash!

Why is recycling important?

Diverting curbside recyclable materials to the 96g recycling cart saves taxpayer dollars!  In addition to saving tax payer dollars, recycling reduces the cost of trash. Equally important is the recycling industry keeps Americans employed! Reducing trash and recycling  protects our natural resources, reduces pollutants, & greenhouse gases and protects environmental and public health.

The recycling industry NEEDS MORE OF THE ACCEPTABLE RECYCLABLE MATERIALS to not only stay in business, but to grow their business. In order for the recycling industry to succeed, which employs Americans across the country, all of us need to increase our diversion of recyclable materials. Without a steady flow of these materials, they industry can't grow. Keep in mind the recycling industry provides much needed jobs to Americans with the possibility of increasing employment opportunities for Americans. Doesn't it make sense to recycle every piece of paper, every can, every recyclable plastic container?

What are "curbside" recyclables?

Curbside recyclables are picked up at the "curb." Place only these materials in the 96g recycling cart for curbside pick up:
Clean cardboard, boxboard (cereal boxes, pasta boxes. etc..) empty drink cartons (empty milk, juice and other beverages first) clean Papers- click        to view all the papers you can now include plus what you should not include.  Containers such as Glass containers, Tin containers (including empty aerosol containers,) clean tin foil, and recyclable narrow neck plastic containers.

Please NO STYROFOAM AND NO PLASTIC BAGS in the recycling cart.

SingleStreamRecyclingChart 2014 to view all of the recyclable materials accepted in the recycling cart.

What is contamination?

Contamination happens when other materials are tossed in with the curbside materials contaminating the town's recyclable load. For example, when residents toss plastic silverware, Styrofoam cups, garden hoses,  plastic bags or clothes or plastic toys in the  96g recycling, then the recycling cart is considered contaminated. The WM driver will tag your cart as contaminated and will leave your cart behind.

Are the carts provided by the town?

YES! Norwood provides curbside recycling and trash services for single family homes and multifamily homes with 2-6 units only. Each home or unit is provided with 1 96g recycling cart and 1 64g trash cart. The town will also provide a 2nd 96g recycling cart at no charge.  We don't want residents to throw curbside recyclables in the trash because your recycling cart is full before the bimonthly pick up date.  Call the general manager's office at 781.762.1240 and speak with Dorothy re obtaining a 2nd recycling cart. Please note: trash and recycling carts belong to the Town of Norwood. If you are moving within the town or out of town, leave all carts on the property. Do NOT remove carts from the property they were originally assigned.

Recycling cart is the larger 96g cart with yellow lid.
Trash cart is the smaller 64g cart with the green lid .
96g recycle cart & 64g trash cart

Who do I call if my carts are damaged?

Please call the Waste Management broken cart phone number at 1.800.972.4545.  WM will send someone out to repair or replace your cart-no charge. 

What are the trash and recycling guidelines?

1. The trash and recycling curbside contract services single family homes, condos as well as 2, 3,
     4,5,6 family homes. The town does NOT service businesses or commercial buildings. Businesses, day care,
     hair salons, florists, dentists, funeral homes, etc...must hire their own private trash/recycling hauler.
2. Only WM carts provided by the Town of Norwood will be serviced.

3. Cart placement- cart lids should be closed. Waste Management's 3 foot rule must be followed, if you want  
    your carts serviced.  




4.  Be sure your carts are curbside by 7am on your trash and recycling day. WM drivers do not "go back" if your carts are not curbside

5. Only place "curbside recyclables" in the 96g recycling cart. 

For "other recyclables" such as plastic bags, Styrofoam, electronics, scrap metals, clothes and other textiles, rigid plastics, etc.....please click  here .

NOTE: If you would like a 2nd recycling cart at no charge, please call the General Manager's office at 781.762.1240 and speak with Dorothy. Please don't throw recyclables materials in the trash because your recycling cart is full.

Last Updated on Monday, 18 August 2014 11:07

Our Town

Latest Events

Wed, Aug 20th, 2014, @7:30pm - 08:30PM
Conservation Commission Meetimg
Thu, Aug 21st, 2014, @9:00am - 10:00AM
Board of Health Meeting
Thu, Aug 21st, 2014, @9:00am - 10:00AM
Retirement Board Meeting
Thu, Aug 21st, 2014, @10:00am - 11:00AM
Blood Pressure Clinic
Thu, Aug 21st, 2014, @6:00pm - 07:00PM
Evaluation Committee of the Committee of 21 Meeting


Joomla Templates by JoomlaShack