The Energy Subcommittee is focused on developing tools and resources to help residents and businesses in Norwood reduce energy-related greenhouse gas emissions.
- Short Term:
- Develop and maintain a greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory for the town with assistance from and using the Metropolitan Area Planning Council’s (MAPC) Community Greenhouse Gas Inventory Tool. This tool will help establish a baseline to understand and target areas in which greenhouse gas emissions can be reduced.
- Help residents understand how NMLD differs from other utilities and what advantages a municipal light department can provide
- Increase public awareness & participation in energy efficiency & renewable energy programs.
- Strengthen the incentive/financial support and the energy efficiency services available to residents and businesses.
- Long Term
- Increase the Town’s supply of carbon-free power to Norwood Municipal Light Department’s (NMLD) energy mix.
- EV & Charging Stations, Increase Awareness and Implementation
Resources/links for the community (things you would like to share with Norwood residents):
- List of energy grants/projects going on TBD:
- Community First Partnership
Action Items Norwood Residents can take related to your subcommittee:
- Find out how you can save energy and money by scheduling a free energy audit for your home - contact Energy New England via online sign-up, calling 888-772-4242, or emailing email@example.com.
- Replace existing inefficient lighting with LED lights
- Explore the potential for an electric vehicle or solar for your home
- Turn off lights when not needed.
- Adjust or lower your heat settings.
- Adjust your air conditioning settings.
- Reduce heating and air conditioning during unoccupied hours.
- Have your heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems serviced and adjusted.
- Turn off appliances and equipment when not needed.
- Tighten up window and door frames. Repair, replace or install weather-stripping.
- Add building insulation.
- Cover window air conditioners in cold weather.