Birth Records Requiring Identification
A birth record is not accessible to the general public if the parent(s) were unmarried at the time the child was born (and have not since married and amended the birth record), or if the father's name does not appear on the record. When this is true, only the mother, father (if listed), or child may request a certificate and identification (valid picture ID) must be provided. Identification is not required for other records.
What is the cost of a birth certificate?
$10.00 per certified copy – Cash, Check (Massachusetts banks only) or Money Order.
Debit/Credit cards not accepted.
Personal Checks are not accepted for mail-in requests.
How do I obtain a birth certificate?
By Mail: (Allow 3 To 5 days, from the day we receive the request)
A written request should contain the following information:
- Name on birth certificate
- Date of birth
- Parents’ names (at time of birth)
- Number of copies requested
- Daytime telephone number
- If the birth certificate requires ID (see *Birth Records Requiring Identification above) please include ID as indicated
- Cash or money order (NO PERSONAL CHECKS BY MAIL) made payable to The Town of Norwood
- Self-addressed stamped envelope
The request should be mailed to:
Town Clerk’s Office
PO Box 40
566 Washington Street
Norwood, MA 02062
In Person: Town Clerk’s Office -- Second Floor – Room 32
You may also obtain a birth certificate at the Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics - State of Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records