About the Purchasing Dept.
The Norwood Purchasing Department implements and administers all procurements and contracts for the Town of Norwood, including the Norwood Public Schools, Light/Broadband, and the Municipal Airport. It establishes the purchasing policies and procedures in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws and Town By-laws, and ensures that all purchases are made in an open, fair and competitive manner.
Public procurement is regulated by several State laws, depending upon the type of procurement and the dollar amount of the purchase.
- Chapter 7C - governs the procurement of design services for public building construction projects where the estimated value of the project is $100,000 or more and the estimated design fee is more than $10,000
- Chapter 30, Section 39M - applies to all public works construction projects (known as horizontal construction) such as road and sidewalk work, athletic field construction/renovation, and drain/sewer construction
- Chapter 30B - regulates the purchase of supplies and services (non-construction) as well as the lease, purchase or sale of Town-owned property
- Chapter 90, Section 54I - governs contracts for the purchase of materials, supplies and equipment for our Airport as well as construction and improvement of the Airport property
- Chapter 149, Section 44A-J - pertains to all public building construction, maintenance, and repair (known as vertical construction)
- Chapter 164, Section 56D - governs the procurement activities of our Light/Broadband Department